4 Ways to Increase Your Speed Through Agility Training
Finding the right exercises that push the body to its limits can be difficult. Agility training consists of high-intensity fast movements designed to increase your speed and strength. This will allow you to change directions quickly and eventually, through training, more easily. Activ8 a Professional athletic training facility that helps take clients fitness to the next level. Located in San Diego, Activ8 created some great exercises that will have your body feeling the burn.
Jumping Agility Hurdles
Be sure to warm up your core and leg muscles before starting this exercise. Continuous practice of agility hurdles will increase your jump height and leg strength. Agilities hurdles are amazing for both beginners and professionals. Here’s how to start:
- Lay down a row of short agility hurdles in two-foot increments.
- Starting with legs shoulder-width apart, jump upward and forward to clear each hurdle, landing on the balls of your feet.
- Upon landing, jump again, driving forward with your arms.
- Repeat for 8 to 10 reps for one set. Rest for about a minute and complete two more sets.
Lateral-Running Agility Ladder
This next exercise is perfect for keeping stability in your knees and ankles. It’s a simple set up: either buy an agility ladder, or place thin, flat, and stable objects down about a foot apart from each other.
Keeping a low center of gravity, step side-to-side through the ladder one foot at a time. Touch in each square of the ladder with both feet. Land on the ball of your foot. Repeat by immediately starting from the opposite side of the ladder.
Grab a box that will with no question hold your weight. It can be padded or unpadded but the height should range from 12-24 inches. This exercise will build up your calf strength very quickly and there are a few ways to go about it. Step-ups and box-jumps are two exercises that will quickly build strength.
- Step up onto the box with one leg, driving your foot into the box.
- bring the other leg up and you straighten both legs to stand on top of the box.
- Step back down and repeat on the opposite side for one rep.
- Repeat 10 times for one set, and complete three sets.
- Start by standing in front of the box.
- Jump up onto the box, landing with both feet.
- Jump back down from the box, then immediately jump back up.
- Continue of one set of 10 reps, and complete three to four sets.
These drills will increase your stability and reaction time. This is great for every sport that requires quick reactions on the spot. Above all, this exercise is a blast to do, and here’s how you do it. There are five dots, four dots make corners of a box and the fifth goes in the middle.
1. Begin with your feet on two dots on the sides.
2. Move your right foot the center dot, left foot to the forward dot, right foot to the forward dot, left foot the center dot, right foot back to the starting dot, and left foot back to the starting dot.
3. Slowly increase your speed, for a total of 8 reps. Complete two sets.
We at Activ8 are a performance gym that can support you in taking your fitness to the next level through these workouts and more. We offer group fitness classes, which with the support of others you can push beyond what you thought your limits were. We also can design the perfect regiment for you through our athletic performance assessment, where we will personally evaluate your needs and goals. Come on by for a visit.